Short Runner Intake on the 5cyl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Runner Intake on the 5cyl

I have installed a Short Runner Intake (SRI) on my 2007 rabbit with the 2.5L inline 5cylinder motor. The intake manifold was made by HEP and purchased through APTuning wayyyy up in PA. At the time, Jeff Atwood with United Motorsports, had created a tune/flash that would add 40 peak hp over the factory rating of 150hp.

Before installing the SRI, I had a base dyno done at Alamo in Arlington, dynojet I think, with minor mods that showed my car had 148whp. The mods were a cone filter attached directly to the MAF housing in the original location (not suggested) and an oem GTI cat back exhaust. If I remember correctly, the peak hp at that point was around 6k rpm or so.

I went to a dyno day at Thompson Motorsports with my current setup (APR 3" cat back) which showed 188whp at 7200 RPM on their dynojet. It is hard to really compare the two dyno runs since they are at different establishments and could be calibrated differently.

All in all I am very happy with the investment. HEP was the first ones to get an SRI on the market followed shortly by C2. Intergrated Engineering is currently taking pre-orders for theirs which should be shipping very soon. I would personally prefer the Integrated Engineering one because it seems to be more of a kit that is true bolt on that doesn't require modification. The HEP manifold needed a few extra things to get on the car. Please take into account that I got the HEP manifold when it first came out and the kit *could* be much more improved by now.

One thing is certain, if you have a manual transmission with the manifold/tune installed, and run your car up to 7k rpms often, you run the risk of throwing your serpentine belt. It's not pretty when this happens because the water pump stops spinning and the temp gauge spikes almost immediately. The consensus is that the belt tensioner is too weak and cannot maintain a constant tension on the belt at the high rpms. I have a very large collection of belt carnage in my garage to prove it. integrated Engineering *claims* they have a solution finishing up testing right now and will have it available sometime this month. My fingers are crossed!
    Last edited by Geo; 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM.
    '74 Audi Fox 1.5L of fury ~smokes the competition~

Re: Short Runner Intake on the 5cyl

Still can't believe there is no word from IE. They even mentioned they had something to beta test what, 2 months ago?
    MKV GTI K04

Comment

I know as soon as I start working on my own tensioner, theirs will become available....hmph

Comment

that sounds about right. Jerks.
        MKV GTI K04

Comment

*With a break from 2004 - 2012

Comment

i dont get it

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              i dont get it
              You wouldn't. <---these are the only default smileys that work. Surprisingly, they fit my comment perfectly.

http://bit.ly/1cZrMmP
              Last edited by DasVWBabe; 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM.

*With a break from 2004 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by DasVWBabe View Post

You wouldn't. <---these are the only default smileys that work. Surprisingly, they fit my comment perfectly.

http://bit.ly/1cZrMmP
                funny fail?

Comment

Originally posted by DasVWBabe View Post
                  ... hmm whats a girl doing in a technical engine forum anyway, shouldnt you be barefoot in a kitchen somewhere making a sandwich?
                  MKV GTI K04

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo View Post

... hmm whats a girl doing in a technical engine forum anyway, shouldnt you be barefoot in a kitchen somewhere making a sandwich?
                    I'll take ham on mine thank you :wink: :wink:

Comment

so getting past the ghey deer, here is a picture of the HEP intake manifold and associated dyno sheet

Comment

Working...
                      X