Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'67 Restoration Project: starting advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '67 Restoration Project: starting advice?

Hello Forum!

I have recently picked up a very nice 67 bug, that has seen some better days.

It has spent the past two years under several tarps, but otherwise outside and unmoving. It's in good shape, all things considered. Needs a new paint job and a new interior, but the body is rust free.
    This is my first car mechanics project, and I don't want to destroy it. The engine had been recently rebuilt.

What is the first thing I should do?
    I will roll it down the street and into my work space... Then what?

Drain and replace all the fluids?
    Try to start it up?
    Vacuum the interior?

I appreciate your experience and advice.

Re: '67 Restoration Project: starting advice?

Originally posted by alhava
    I have recently picked up a very nice 67 bug, that has seen some better days.

It has spent the past two years under several tarps, but otherwise outside and unmoving. It's in good shape, all things considered. Needs a new paint job and a new interior, but the body is rust free.
    This is my first car mechanics project, and I don't want to destroy it. The engine had been recently rebuilt.

What is the first thing I should do?
    I will roll it down the street and into my work space... Then what?

Drain and replace all the fluids?
    Try to start it up?
    Vacuum the interior?

I appreciate your experience and advice.
    Drain the fuel. Flush the tank if you want to do it right.

Check the soft fuel lines and associated clamps on the car. If they weren't replaced when the engine was rebuilt, replace them. Don't forget the one between the tank and the metal line in the passenger-side front wheel well. You can use standard-sized line from an auto parts store (about 4' is needed, and 8 clamps), but if money is no object, there are plenty of sources for braided OEM replacement and aftermarket lines as well.

Replace fuel filter and fill tank with fresh fuel.

Replace oil. Check brake fluid. You probably want to replace it since the car sat a while.

Try to start it up. You're probably going to need some carb cleaner. Before you drive, check the tires, and go easy on the brakes initially. If it were me, I'd drain and refill the tranny before you put too many miles on it.

Get the Bentley manual. HTH.
    '73 Beetle
    '98 Jetta GLX
    '05 Golf GLS TDi

Comment

Re: '67 Restoration Project: starting advice?

Yep, I would replace the fluids, check all of the electrical contacts and see if it will start. Also, check out www.thesamba.com. It is a better site for aircooled and you will find tons of info there. Congrats on your new toy.

Comment

Working...
      X